Hawaiian Ki'i at Hale o Keawe Heiau

Hawaiian Ki'i

Hawaiian Ki'i
Location:  Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, Big Island, Hawaii

This is a close-up of a Ki'i -- a carved wooden image that guards the Hale o Keawe heiau (Hawaiian Temple) at Pu'uhonua o Honaunau on Hawaii's Big Island.  These figures, which had religious significance in the traditional Hawaiian culture, were placed at sacred locations.  In some other Polynesian cultures, a similar type of carved figure is called a Tiki.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pics! Loved the history behind it, or at least how it was part of the history. Specially love the little wooden Ki'i, I think I have one of those somewhere in my house...or something similar to it, prolly like a Tiki.

You have a beautiful place to live too, with lots of things to capture on camera.

BNS said...

Hi Akoni - Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I must admit, there are plenty of good photo subjects here in Hawaii.

Bobbie

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a Tiki in a long time and I'm sure this is much bigger than the ones I've seen (mostly ones one might wear around their neck).

BNS said...

Hi 2Sweet - I don't think you'd want to wear this guy around your neck. He was almost as tall as me. :-}

Bobbie

2sweetnsaxy said...

Me again. Wanted to let you know I just received an award that I passed along to you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Isn't this the idea that the Brandy Bunch found? Look out it is bad luck. Nice photo.

BNS said...

@ 2Sweet - I just now saw your second message. Thanks you for the award.

@ Tommy V - Thanks. I think it would only be bad luck if you tampered with it. ;-}

Bobbie

Gemma Wiseman said...

I just have a tiny little tiki on a necklet! This is the first time I have seen one this size! Great pic!

BNS said...

Thanks, Greyscale.

Bobbie