Toad says, "I can haz cat food!"

Cane Toad (Bufo marinus)

Cane Toad (Bufo marinus)
Location: Kohala Coast, Big Island, Hawaii

Back in September, I posted a photo of a Cane Toad (Bufo marinus) that lives in our garden. In that post I said:
These amphibians come out after dark in search of food and water. Normally they eat things like insects, snails and slugs -- but we have witnessed several Cane Toads gobbling cat food from a bowl that happened to be left out on the porch overnight.
Today I offer proof of the toad's penchant for cat food. We caught this guy on the back porch, just as he was about to indulge his secret craving.

9 comments:

kml said...

And he thought he was the only one who knew - GUILT is written all over his face! Thanks for the laugh, Bobbie!

Becky said...

He looks like he's saying, "Who me, I'm not a cat."
B.

antigoni said...

You captured a very unique moment. I'm sure he could never guess who's watching him stealing cat's food. Where was the cat to defend her plate?

2sweetnsaxy said...

Dang, that's a big toad. It even look like it thought, "oh shoot. Caught red handed!" :-D

Mojo said...

Wow. When I first saw him, I thought he was a plastic lawn ornament or something. That guy is BIG!

Unknown said...

That toad better watchout for your cat or he's gonna be cat meal.

Tink *~*~* said...

He's certainly a pretty color, for a toad! But it's just bizarre to think about him actually WANTING cat food instead of nice, fresh, juicy insects.

Tink *~*~*

Sheila-Army Wife said...

Ahhh! we got a Van Gough in the house huh? cute pix...lol

BNS said...

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed the little joke. Maybe I should have had a caption contest for this one.

For those who asked about the cat -- when this photo was taken, the cat was inside, sleeping on our bed, of course. (He's an old cat, so he spends a great deal of time sleeping.)

Our cat and this toad have crossed paths in the garden many times, but they mutually ignore each other.

Bobbie