Portrait of a Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)

Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)

Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)
Location: Boulder, Colorado, USA

This is a Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger), one of three kinds of tree squirrels native to Colorado. The species was unfamiliar to me, so of course I looked it up.  According to the Web site of the Colorado Department of Natural Resources:  "Fox squirrels eat fruit, nuts and buds, and bury nuts for winter (and because they are forgetful, they plant a lot of trees)."

That last bit made me smile.  I had never thought of squirrels as inadvertent tree planters, but I suppose that does happen.

I saw this little guy foraging in a garden in Boulder, Colorado.  He appeared to be digging up nuts and seeds rather than burying them.  Note the bits of dirt on his chin!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Aw, he is so cute. There are lots of Fox Squirrels around us, but we don't have any on our property. They can get quite large too. I had never heard about the tree planting thing. Cool !
B.