You're Chivin' Me

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum)

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum)
Location:  Kohala Coast, Big Island, Hawaii

In addition to flowers and vegetables, we also grow herbs in our garden.  It's so nice to have fresh herbs for cooking.  One of those is chives, grown in a big pot, located conveniently near our kitchen door.

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) are the smallest species of the onion family.  They are perennials; ours have been growing continuously in the same pot for years.  They are flowering right now.  The blossom reminds me of a fluffy clover flower.

2 comments:

kml said...

This reminds me of my kids when they were little. Knowing they could eat the chives - they would always come back inside with the smell of "onions" on their breath. Great photo!

BNS said...

Ha, ha -- I know exactly what you mean, Kathy. In fact, I've done that myself.

Bobbie