Song of the Java Sparrow

Java Sparrow (Padda oryzivora)

Java Sparrow (Padda oryzivora)
Location: Kohala Coast, Big Island, Hawaii

Java Sparrows (Padda oryzivora) are regular visitors to our garden.  As I mentioned in an earlier post about Java Sparrows, these natives of Indonesia are members of the finch family, despite the common name.  They were introduced into Hawaii well over a century ago, and have become well established here in the islands.

By chance, while I was researching a different finch species, I came across a website that had a brief recording of the Java Sparrow's song.   Here it is: Java Sparrow song.

Tip of the hat to Roy Beckham at eFinch.com for posting the recording  on his website for all of us to enjoy.

7 comments:

kml said...

They have very distinct coloring and markings - beautiful! How big are they - they look a bit larger than our finches.

BNS said...

Hi Kathy - Yes, they are a bit bigger than other finch species here, too -- about 6 or 7 inches long. Their bodies also are more stout compared to, say, a house finch.

Bobbie

Becky and Gary said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous birds! With those thick beaks, they'll have no problem cracking even the hardest of seeds.
B.

2sweetnsaxy said...

What beautiful birds! The most I ever see in my yard are sparrows. I think I'd blow a gasket if I saw something this wonderful in my yard. :-D Great shot.

ClearlyEnlight, said...

Beautiful birds, I use to raise parrots and breed cockatiels. I am a big bird lover.

A wonderful picture you posted, thanks.

BNS said...

@ Becky - You are right. These birds can crack seed hulls very easily.

@ 2Sweet - Nah, you wouldn't blow a gasket. You'd grab your camera and take some very fine photos to put on your blog.

@ ClearlyEnlight - Thank you for stopping by. We are major bird lovers, too. We have never raised or bred birds, but we do whatever we can to encourage wild birds to visit/nest in/live in our property.

Bobbie

Jinghui said...

Nice capture of the Java Sparrow, especially with 2 of them together !

Not an easy task, patience and timing important.

JH
http://www.photojournalist-tgh.tv