Portrait of a Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)

Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)

Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger)
Location: Boulder, Colorado, USA

This is a Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger), one of three kinds of tree squirrels native to Colorado. The species was unfamiliar to me, so of course I looked it up.  According to the Web site of the Colorado Department of Natural Resources:  "Fox squirrels eat fruit, nuts and buds, and bury nuts for winter (and because they are forgetful, they plant a lot of trees)."

That last bit made me smile.  I had never thought of squirrels as inadvertent tree planters, but I suppose that does happen.

I saw this little guy foraging in a garden in Boulder, Colorado.  He appeared to be digging up nuts and seeds rather than burying them.  Note the bits of dirt on his chin!

1 comment:

Becky and Gary said...

Aw, he is so cute. There are lots of Fox Squirrels around us, but we don't have any on our property. They can get quite large too. I had never heard about the tree planting thing. Cool !
B.