Lichens on a rock

Location:  Estes Park, Colorado, USA

I don't profess to know much about lichens, but I do know that they can be categorized  according to their growth form.  Lichens that form a sort of crust on rocks or tree bark or whatever substrate they grow upon are called "crustose" lichens.  I'm thinking the lichens in this photo may qualify as crustose lichens.  (Then again, I may be wrong, so don't quote me!)  


Becky said...

Cool lichens. I love to find them.

BNS said...

Yes, I like to find them, too. I think they're a neglected photo subject.